|Monte Cristo Sandwich - Recipe||
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices turkey
- 4 slices ham
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Heat 5 inches of vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F.
- While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk into the egg mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham on another, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. Cut sandwiches into quarters, and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip each sandwich quarter in the batter so that all sides are coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove toothpicks and arrange on a serving tray. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe
Adapted from allrecipes.com