Welcome to season 4! We start off with one of our favorite dishes to make, chicken wings. But we can't just make regular chicken wings. That's boring and an awful way to kick off the season. In the past we've made Asian Orange Chicken Wings, Strawberry-Jalapeno Chicken Wings and Spicy Apricot Wings. We love making a good sauce to go with our wings and this episode we make a Spicy Blueberry sauce.
The recipe calls for fresh blueberries and blueberry preserves giving it a sweet flavor while the Sriracha (Hot Chili Sauce) gives it a spicy kick. The sauce can be made ahead and warmed up once the wings are ready. Also, if you want your wings hotter you can increase the amount of Sriracha. They're a great combination of sweet and savory and a better alternative to your regular buffalo sauce.
Spicy Blueberry Chicken Wings
Recipe Type: Appetiser
- Your favorite Seasoning Salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 jar of blueberry preserves (about 12oz)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp sriracha sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 15 fresh whole chicken wings
- Remove tips from wings if not already done
- Liberally sprinkle dry rub on both sides of the wings
- Prepare grill for cooking over direct medium heat
- In a sauce pan, Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft and translucent.
- Add blueberry preserves, ketchup, fresh blueberries, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, and crushed red pepper and cook at medium heat.
- Grill wings for 30 minutes, turning often or until they are browned and the juices run clear.
- Warm glaze if it’s cooled.
- In a large bowl, mix wings and glaze tossing to coat well.